|FAMILYCOMMUNITY INSPIRATION RESOURCES PARTNERS|
A number of years ago, I received the following letter from one of my subscribers in Great Britain. Since many of you were not subscribers at the time, I thought you might appreciate this "repeat TFTD":
To the citizens of the United States of America,
In light of your failure to elect a new President of our former colonies, known more recently as the U.S.A., in order to govern yourselves and that which you habitually refer to as the free world, irrespective of his ability to govern himself, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective today.
Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will assume monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths, former colonies and other territories (including New Jersey).
To aid in the transition to a British Crown Dependency, please comply with the following acts:
1. Look up "revocation" in the now official Chambers English
2. Start spelling (and pronouncing) correctly all English words.
3. Learn at least the first 4 lines of "God Save The Queen."
4. Start referring to "soccer" as football and admit that American
5. Immediately declare war on Quebec (and France). You may use our
6. Enjoy all cold beverages at room temperature and insist that your
tea be served hot.
7. Learn to enjoy delicacies such as steak and kidney pudding and
8. The Fourth of July is no longer to be observed as a public
holiday. This has been replaced with 5th November, also known
as Guy Fawkes Day (he was the roguish chap who tried to blow up
the Houses of Parliament).
9. All members of this British Crown Dependency will be required to
take 6 weeks annual holiday and observe statutory tea breaks.
10. Driving on the left is now compulsory - recall all cars to effect
the change immediately.
11. Car parts will be referred to by their proper names (bonnet,
boot, etc.) and a more healthy level of tax will be applied to
petrol and diesel fuels.
12. All citizens are to report to our Consulate General in NY for the
issue of new passports and work permits. Please ensure that
orderly queues are maintained.
13. Add the Royal insignia to the top of the Washington Monument.
14. Assemble a national cricket team in preparation for a world tour
15. Stop referring to a "World Series" of baseball and instead call
it the National Series of USA, Cuba and Japan.
16. Recall all currency and replace with new coins and notes bearing
an image of monarch's head.
17. Increase all domestic power supplies to 240 volts with immediate
Tax collectors from Her Majesty's Government will be with you shortly to ensure the acquisition of all revenues due (backdated to 1776 with interest).
Thank you for your cooperation and have a nice day!
Aside from the humor (which I enjoyed immensely), the above letter served to remind me of the great difference between our two "kingdoms". Transferring from one to the other would indeed involve a lot of changes.
In a similar manner, those of us who are Christians have changed kingdoms. In the Colossian letter, the apostle Paul describes what God has done for us:
"He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love." (Col. 1:13)
Allow the significance of that statement to settle in. We used to be a part of Satan's kingdom; now we are a part of God's kingdom. We used to be "aliens" (Eph. 2:12); now we are "fellow citizens with the saints" (Eph. 2:19). Things are different now. Very much different!
With no disrespect intended toward Great Britain, I consider it a blessing to be a citizen of the United States. But that blessing doesn't begin to compare with the great privilege that God has provided in allowing me to be a part of HIS kingdom.
Have a jolly good day!